Sunday, April 10, 2011

Corned Beef & Cabbage, St. Patrick's Day Recipes

I made this CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE recipe as one of my St. Patrick's Day recipes this year. It's from the Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook, but it's not a slow cooker recipe, which was surprising to me. 
I've never actually made corned beef and cabbage before, and can't remember if I've ever even eaten it specifically, especially on St. Patrick's Day. I wanted to make a whole meal of Irish food for St. Patrick's Day this year and one of the most traditional, of course, is Corned Beef and Cabbage. I looked through a number of my cookbooks and found recipes in most of them. I decided to go with this one thinking I could just put it in the crock pot in the morning and forget about it, but that's not the case with this recipe.

The meat cooks in a dutch oven (large pot) on the stove for a couple of hours, then you add your veggies to it, and finally the cabbage. It took about 3 hours to cook from start to finish, but the actual time I spent in prep and actual cooking was very minimal, less than 20 minutes, total, with a little of it here and there with the veggie prep.

I must say we were all very happy with how this recipe turned out. The meat was so tender and flavorful, and the veggies were good. I also served sauerkraut with it as well. We didn't have very much meat left, but did have quite a lot of the veggies left, which I served as a side to another dish a couple days later.

Everyone in our family liked this dish and it's a definite keeper. My only regret is I didn't buy 2 corned beef briskets and make twice as much meat. I love Reuben sandwiches and was hoping to have leftovers for some Reubens, but there really wasn't enough meat leftover. The recipe says it will serve 6, and I bought my brisket just a little larger, hoping for leftovers. There were 4 of us that ate this dish and I would say the meat portion is really suited for 4, not 6 as the recipe suggests.

I think this recipe will become a yearly tradition for us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment