Friday, January 7, 2011

Beef with Rosemary Mushroom Sauce, Onion & Horseradish Potatoes

Day 4 of cooking from "THE BEST OF COOKING LIGHT" produced 2 dishes... Beef with Rosemary-Mushroom Sauce and Caramelized Onion & Horseradish Mashed Potatoes.

Ok, so the picture doesn't look that great, I know, it looks a bit sloppy, I wasn't happy about how I plated and photographed this. I was cooking this for my daughter and son in law, and my daughter had to be out the door in less than 15 minutes so I was in a hurry to finish making this meal, and getting it served on time. So sorry about the sloppy presentation and picture.

BEEF WITH ROSEMARY-MUSHROOM SAUCE, good, but not sure about the sweetness of the sauce...
Everyone seemed to like it, but the sauce almost seemed a little sweet, which may have been from the balsamic vinegar in it, but there was only 1 tsp. in the sauce, so not much. I did, however, in my hurry to get this dish served, forget to add the garlic to the sauce when I was cooking it, which I'm sure made a difference in the flavor. There is red wine in the sauce as well, and the flavor may depend on the type of wine you use too, I'm sure. Everyone liked the sauce with the meat, however. I was excited to use to a new grill pan I bought to cook the steak on. It worked great, don't know why I never bought one before, even had the pretty little grill lines on the meat before we cut it, I was pleased with myself about that. I'd probably make this dish again, but experiment a little bit with the sauce, first try adding the garlic and see if that does the trick. Also serving them with a plain mashed potato instead of the sweet onion potato may have been better, as the sauce will flavor the potatoes.

CARAMELIZED ONION & HORSERADISH MASHED POTATOES, loved these, but may not have been the right potatoes to serve with this particular meat dish...
We all really liked these potatoes, especially the sweetness of the caramelized onion in them. I wasn't sure I was going to like the Dijon mustard and horseradish flavors in the potatoes, but it really worked. I used sweet onions, but regular onions would have worked fine too. Serving them with this particular meat dish made it all seem a little bit too sweet, though. I'd make these again, but would serve them with something without a sauce probably.

10 recipes down, 537 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment