Sunday, January 16, 2011

Seafood Fettuccine

Today was day 11 of cooking from THE BEST OF COOKING LIGHT. My oldest daughter saw my post when I made Pan Seared Scallops on Linguine with Tomato-Cream Sauce and said she wanted me to make it for her. I said I'd make it for her the next time she came to visit. She and her family are visiting this weekend, and since there are other scallop with pasta recipes in this cookbook I thought I'd try out one of the others on the family tonight, so made the Seafood Fettuccine recipe tonight. Here's our thoughts on this recipe...

SEAFOOD FETTUCCINE, pros and cons...

This recipe called for shrimp, sea scallops, and lump crabmeat. The shrimp and scallops were great in the recipe, but the crab meat was not, it was really fishy. That could have been just the crab meat we bought, who knows, but we are not fans of our fish and seafood being "fishy", which often comes from it not being fresh. It also came out very "soupy". The recipe calls for 2 cups of half and half, but it was way too much and made the dish more soup like than sauce or cream like. I think 1 cup of half and half would have been sufficient. 

And the portion sizes were just right. The recipe said it serves 8, which at first we thought was not going to be enough for 6 of us, especially since my hubby likes to eat at least 4 portions of pasta, minimum, just for himself. But we all had our fill, and then some, and there was still some leftover. So it truly would have served 8 people with just the right size portions.

With the exception of the crab meat being fishy, the dish was good. Not sure I'd make it again. We liked the Pan Seared Scallops on Linguine with Tomato-Cream Sauce better than this dish.

And another comment made by my husband after he went shopping yesterday for groceries and took note of the cost of everything... this book is called "Cooking Light", not "Cooking Cheap". It's expensive for many of these recipes! The dish tonight cost about $40 to make. Since it served 8 people it works out to $5 per person, but still, it's expensive to cook like this every day. Most of the time I'm just cooking for 2 so I cut the recipes down to appropriate sizes. But still, these dishes are not cheap!

22 recipes down, 525 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment