Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls; Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Buns

Day 19 of cooking from THE BEST OF COOKING LIGHT and I made some Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls (Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Buns as they're called in the cookbook). I was a little unsure about these since I already have a Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll recipe that I've learned to master, and I make a regular cinnamon roll frequently that I've been making for years that my family think are the best ever (they're biased, however). Here's what we thought of these cinnamon rolls...

PUMPKIN-CINNAMON STREUSEL BUNS (Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls), good, but need just a tad of tweaking...

Surprisingly, these were actually pretty good cinnamon rolls. My hubby was convinced you could not make a "light" version of a cinnamon roll, but lo and behold, this recipe passed the test, even by him. He still prefers my cinnamon rolls, but these cinnamon rolls were acceptable, even to him.

Just a couple edits that should be noted...

The recipe tells you to cut the dough into 12 slices and place in a 9-inch square pan, however, 12 rolls don't fit proportionately in a 9" square pan so I used an 8-inch by 11-inch pan and had them 4x3 in the pan and it worked just fine.

The recipe says to cook them at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, but they needed to go longer. I cooked them at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, and they were still slightly doughy. 30 minutes would probably be more adequate. My usual cinnamon rolls get cooked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

And the icing measurements were not appropriate. The book says to use 1 Tbsp water, but it was nowhere near a drizzle consistency, not even a spreadable consistency, it was still dry clumps. I had to add an extra tablespoon to get it to a thick drizzle. I didn't think it was going to be enough icing, but it was just the right amount.

I served these to our Bed and Breakfast guests this morning as well and they all disappeared, so they went over well with the guests also.

Overall, these were a good cinnamon roll and I would make them again if I needed to make a light version.

35 recipes down, 512 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment