Sunday, February 20, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas, Enchiladas de Pollo

Day 30 of cooking from THE BEST OF COOKING LIGHT and I made Chicken Enchiladas (Enchiladas de Pollo) for dinner tonight. Here's our thoughts about this lighter version of the classic favorite recipe...

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS (ENCHILADAS de POLLO), just ok...

This recipe looked decent in the cookbook, and sounded good as well, but preparing these and then tasting them, was a disappointment.

Let's start with preparing them. You're supposed to prepare your corn tortillas by dipping them in boiling water instead of hot oil (lighter version, remember), but the first one I did fell apart because after just a few seconds it became so very mushy. Then I made all 8 of them and stacked them on a place to roll them up with the filling, but that was a bad idea as they all stuck together. Good thing I bought a package of 18 tortillas as I'd just lost my first 9 tortillas to the trash. I just barely dipped in the boiling water for a second or two, just barely enough to soften them, but they still would fall apart while I tried to roll the filling in them. Not a good start.

As with a number of the recipes in this cookbook, I had a hard time finding some ingredients. I could not find canned tomatillos in the grocery store, so I bought fresh tomatillos and used those instead. I don't think that made much of a difference in the recipe, so not a big deal, I just wanted to mention that some of the ingredients called for in this cookbook are difficult to find in regular grocery stores (I shop at Safeway, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and Costco).

The sauce was fine, the flavor was good, but nothing stood out about it. When we went to eat them, however, they were pretty mushy, which I'm sure had to do with the fact that the tortillas were cooked in water instead of oil.

Overall, this was not a recipe I'll be repeating again.

58 recipes down, 489 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment