Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Salad with Hearts of Palm, Heartthrob Salad

Yesterday was Valentine's Day, and Day 28 of cooking from THE BEST OF COOKING LIGHT so I decided to make a romantic dinner for my hubby and myself. I chose this salad recipe mainly because of the name "Heartthrob Salad" was the perfect name for a romantic dinner in my opinion. Here's what we thought of this particular salad...

HEARTTHROB SALAD, just ok...

This salad included hearts of palm, plum tomatoes, a very small amount of kalamata olives (which I skipped on my hubby's salad since he hates olives of any kind), parsley, some bib lettuce, a dressing made of white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, olive oil, salt & pepper and cloves, and sprinkled with a little bit of Parmesan cheese (which I forgot to put on before I took the picture. I did add it onto our salads later, however).

The "dressing" seemed a bit too wet, and splitting each heart of palm down the middle and having it 2 open slices under the lettuce wasn't very practical since you needed to cut it up anyway. I don't think it made a big difference on the presentation (you can barely see them near the top of the picture), and actually think if you had cut the heart of palm into large slices and mixed it in with the tomato mixture and topped the lettuce with the tomato and hearts of palm sliced would have been a better presentation and made it easier to eat.

The flavor was more of a Mediterranean or Greek flavor, which was ok, but wasn't one of our favorites. I probably would not make this salad again. The portion size, however, was very large, as we've noticed with many of the recipes in this book. It said it serves 2, but realistically it would have served 3-4.

Overall, just an ok salad.

51 recipes down, 496 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment