Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dutch Baby Pancakes, Pear Dutch Baby

Yesterday was Day 26 of cooking from THE BEST OF COOKING LIGHT and I made us a Pear Dutch Baby (Dutch Baby Pancakes, which can be vary in a number of ways.

PEAR DUTCH BABY, very good...

I make a recipe somewhat like this at our Bed and Breakfast Lodge, Apple Sausage Puff Pancakes (you can click on the link for that recipe); I don't have a picture of it, but will try to take one the next time I make them. They're always a hit with our guests, and it's one of my daughter and son in law's favorite breakfasts that she makes for him frequently.

I make mine slightly different. I found a recipe similar to this one that called for fresh fruit with an orange glaze sauce, cooked in a pie tin. I altered it created my own apple sausage filling and serve them in individual ramekins for the guests. They love them because not only do they taste wonderful, but the presentation is usually impressive. The ramekins are hot, the pancake rises above the ramekin by an inch or so, and I drizzle some of the sauce around the edge to make it sizzle when it's served.

Anyway, back to THIS recipe. I followed the instructions as the recipe called for and made it in a cast iron skillet as directed. For some reason the pancake only rose on half of the skillet and was flat on the other side, not sure why it didn't work all the way around, but when I make these in ramekins it can be a fickle recipe and if a little drip of batter gets on the edge of the ramekin it can stop the rise. Temperature of the skillet, or ramekins, is also important, and how hot the butter is. It can be tricky getting it to be "just right" every time, and I guess it's no different with making it in a skillet.

We really liked the flavor and texture of the pears as the filling. You had to use a lot of lemon juice, which I'm guessing is what's substituted for butter and/or syrup, and we thought it would be WAY too much, but it turned out fine. Knowing that there was so much lemon in it made us more aware of it, but I don't think you would have noticed it so much had you not known there was so much in it.

Also, the pears were a bit on the mushy side, however, I don't think that's a fault of the recipe, I just think my pears were a bit more ripe than they should have been. And the recipe does not tell you to peel the pears, which I would have done. The picture in the cookbook looks like they were peeled, but since the recipe didn't tell you to, I did not peel them. It only tells you to core and thinly slice the pears. Peeling them would have been better.

Final synopsis... this was a really good recipe that I would definitely make again. And I think I'll use pears in my puff pancake at the B&B instead of apples sometime to change it up a bit. This is a keeper recipe.

49 recipes down, 498 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment